[Mailman-Developers] Number of Mailman users?

Marc MERLIN marc_news@vasoftware.com
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 20:50:42 -0700

On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 08:30:53PM -0700, Peter C. Norton wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 04:58:28PM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > Either mailman or majordomo, hard to say.
> > Majordomo had a big installed base, but it's losing grounds quickly
> > (it was far from being the best, but it was the most popular)
>
> For a long time it was the top of the heap among a large variety of
> really, really, actually crappy mlm's.

You are correct, majordomo isn't all that bad, it's just rather inefficient.

> > You can point those  people to the restrictions in qmail  (which you more or
> > less need to run ezmlm).
>
> Less.  Since postfix and courier both implement sub-addresses, you can
> use them to manage ezmlm.  Since sendmail can be made to do that as
> well, you can probably make ezmlm work with sendmail these days, too.

hence "more or less"
You are correct, but I don't know anyone who has done this yet.

> > http://www.linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#djb
>
> 2) Rick doesn't like the license.

or lack thereof, which causes implied issues (outlined by Rick)
That's my point too.

As far as I can tell, this is accurate:
They are  thus definitively proprietary  software -- with limited  rights of
gratis  use if  you  acquire  the package  from  Bernstein  or someone  he's
specifically  authorised  to distribute  it. Therefore,  if  you repair  his
bizarre design  decisions, you may not  share your work (except  as patches,
add-ons,  or reconfiguration  recommendations), and  must re-do  that repair
work with each new version. You also may not put up even unmodified versions
for public access (of many of his packages) without special permission.

> However I haven't seen Rick produce or distribute very much software,

Rick is, like me,  a sysadmin. He has proabably donated more  of his time to
the linux community than you and me.
But we are not talking about him, are we?

> (rather then, say writing his own, better, MTA) has made me unlikely

Why? Exim and postfix are fine choices. There are others I'm sure.
Why write yet another MTA?

> Agreed,  but   the  Freds  who   maintain  ezmlm-idx  are   competant  and
> knowledgeable, too.  I like the fact that unlike when I was wondering

I don't dispute this. In the meantime however:
moremagic:/tmp/ezmlm-0.53# grep -i license *
moremagic:/tmp/ezmlm-0.53#

ezmlm-idx-0.40 includes  the GPL  license file,  but doesn't  state anywhere
that's it's licensed under the GPL, nor do I know if it can since it's based
on ezmlm, which itself is not (as far as I know, GPL compliant, or even open
source software)

The original point being that criticizing MM for being GPL in favor of ezmlm
is probably not  the smartest thing one can do  IMO, considering the license
issues around ezmlm...

I'll stop my contributions to this  thread here, though. This is getting off
topic.

Marc