[Mailman-Developers] Number of Mailman users?

Marc MERLIN marc_news@vasoftware.com
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 16:58:28 -0700

On Sun, Apr 14, 2002 at 04:47:31PM -0700, Ellen Spertus wrote:
> Do we know what the most popular open-source mlm is?  My guess would be
> Mailman, but that's just off the top of my head.

Either mailman or majordomo, hard to say.
Majordomo had a big installed base, but it's losing grounds quickly
(it was far from being the best, but it was the most popular)

> I already got a flame for working on Mailman, rather than ezmlm, because of
> the perceived restrictiveness of the GPL.

You can point those  people to the restrictions in qmail  (which you more or
less need to run ezmlm).
http://www.linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#djb
After  that, you  notice that  you have  ezmlm and  ezmlm-idx maintained  by
different people than  the author (DJB), and the strange  absence of license
on the ezmlm.org web site (I didn't download it to check further).
Of course, qmail itself isn't open source.

I'd *much* rather be working with Barry than DJB, thank you :-)

Marc

PS: ezmlm isn't crap though, it  has some nice features that mailman doesn't
quite match yet.