[Mailman-Developers] SF bug report #223533

Andrew Pimlott ota-7@andrew.pimlott.net
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 22:35:44 -0500

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 09:17:50PM -0500, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
> I'm in a mad quest to reduce the number of open Mailman bugs to under
> 50 so it fits on one page.

(If someone's smart, he'll ask sourceforge to shorten the page
length every time Barry closes a bug.)

> It's fairly old <blush> but it's complaining that there is no way to
> tell the difference between a list posting and an administrative
> message via the List-* headers.  I think it's actually recommending to
> add another header(!) only to list postings.
<snip>
> I think
> we're being standards compliant here and I'm inclined to close this
> bug report as Won't Fix.

I think you're focusing too much on the standards issue.  This bug
is not really about standards.  This bug is about a clear failing in
Mailman, that causes users much annoyance.  I would be disappointed
if it were not addressed.

Mailman already adds around ten headers to each list message, so I
wouldn't think that one more, to fulfill a clear need, would be a
problem.

But if an additional header on list messages is really not
acceptible, perhaps as a compromise you could add a header to the
admin messages?  This would be a little confusing, but at least
users would only have to learn the trick once.  It should be clearly
documented, to minimize bewilderment.

Another possibility would be to propose a revision to the RFC's that
adds a header just for list messages.  Then, at least you would have
the force of an RFC behind you if people complain about another
header.  As a bonus, you would save other list software from making
this mistake.

Just a poor subscriber,
Andrew