[Mailman-Developers] Re: mailman and the web (OFFTOPIC)

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 02:05:24 +0100

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 12:28:39AM +0100, Ricardo Kustner wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 10:39:48PM +0100, Thomas Wouters wrote:

> > Your lines seem to be wrapped at character 100 or so. Doesn't bother me,
> > my editor (which, contrary to vi, is a real editor <wink>) does the
> > paragraph reflowing for me :)

> which editor is that? I can't seem to figure it out from the message
> headers :)

It's 'joe', but it could have been (X)Emacs as well :) I haven't figured out
how to teach (X)Emacs about quote characters yet, though. (joe recognizes
common prefixes and takes them into account when doing paragraph reflowing.
Say you have a text like

> foo
> bar baz baz

and you type ^Kj while inside that paragraph, or you select the text and
type ^Kj, it figures out '> ' is used to quote the paragraph and adjusts the
string accordingly. So instead of

> foo > bar baz baz

you end up with

> foo bar baz baz

It fucks up occasionaly, and you don't want to do paragraph reflowing on a
preformated paragraph (say, Python code examples :) but for replying to
people with broken mailers/editors, it's +rock :) And besides, if it goes
wrong, you do ^_ (undo :)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>