[Mailman-Developers] Re: mailman and the web (OFFTOPIC)

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 11:43:16 -0500

    TW> It's 'joe', but it could have been (X)Emacs as well :) I
    TW> haven't figured out how to teach (X)Emacs about quote
    TW> characters yet, though. (joe recognizes common prefixes and
    TW> takes them into account when doing paragraph reflowing.  Say
    TW> you have a text like

Do you know about filladapt?  It's a way cool add-on (which comes with
XEmacs but not sure about Emacs) and it seems to Just Work with most
kinds of crazy prefixing, not just of bizarrely quoted email text
<wink>, but with, say numbered lists in Python comments.

    TW> It fucks up occasionaly, and you don't want to do paragraph
    TW> reflowing on a preformated paragraph (say, Python code
    TW> examples :) but for replying to people with broken
    TW> mailers/editors, it's +rock :) And besides, if it goes wrong,
    TW> you do ^_ (undo :)

BTW, for any latent elisp hackers out there, my long orphaned
Supercite 4 alpha has some heuristics to try to recognize code
examples, and other types of text in email messages and quote/wrap
them accordingly.  So far, I've found no takers to continue to work on
the code, which despite its well-deserved alpha label has served me
well for several years.

getting-really-off-topic-now-ly y'rs,
-Barry