[Mailman-Developers] Re: mailman and the web (OFFTOPIC)

Ricardo Kustner ricardo@rixhq.nu
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 00:28:39 +0100

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 10:39:48PM +0100, Thomas Wouters wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 08:26:03AM +0100, Ricardo Kustner wrote:
> > This makes me wonder... is there a mod_python for apache? or maybe fastcgi
> > libs? would be interesting to have an extra choice to be able to run
> > mailman in such an environment... especially if we get database support in
> > the code; then it'd be good to be able to use persistant db links IMHO...
> There is a fastcgi lib for Python, and there are two Apache modules,
> mod_python and mod_snake. mod_python is less versatile, though, and I don't
> believe it allows Python embedded in HTML. mod_snake does, IIRC. mod_snake
> also allows deeply embedded Python (that is, Python code that can get into
> Apache internals, especiall Apache 2.0.) You can basically write Apache
> extentions using mod_snake and Apache 2.0.

ah... nice, just like mod_perl. Maybe that's something I should look into (snake)...
I really want to get more experience in python, but since I usually develop things that
run on a webserver, I prefer to use something that can be part of the webserver
for optimal performance. I have enough projects which I can try out with python;
and maybe I can have a look into if it could benefit mailman.

> > In a little defense for PHP, I think it's almost like perl; even though
> > you know it has some issues it gets the job done very quickly easily and
> > almost anything you want to do is available out of the box. Which I think
> It gets the job done quickly, easily if the job is very small, and very
> *messy* :) Just consider the fact that you can call a php page using
> '<page>?var=value' and $var will be 'value' in the PHP page. End result: you
> can't trust variables :P
If I'm not mistaken you can turn that off systemwide...

> > I don't agree with python being easier though :) For somebody new to
> > programming it's easier to learn PHP than python... in some way PHP is
> > just a huge number of available functions with a bit of programming
> > language around it ;)
> As a scripting language, PHP might be easier (I don't agree, but still.) But
> if you have no programming knowledge, or you want more than a quick hack to
> call a function, Python is definately easier.
I've seen several people with hardly any programming knowledge pickup PHP very quickly.
But maybe they would learn python even faster, I don't know :)

> > ps: sorry if my mesage is a bit messy; I have to get used to using mutt+vi
> > again... I've given up my search for a stable gui mail client for now
> > (again ;))
> Your lines seem to be wrapped at character 100 or so. Doesn't bother me, my
> editor (which, contrary to vi, is a real editor <wink>) does the paragraph
> reflowing for me :)
which editor is that? I can't seem to figure it out from the message headers :)

--
Regards,

Ricardo