[Mailman-Developers] mailman and the web

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 22:39:48 +0100

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 08:26:03AM +0100, Ricardo Kustner wrote:

> This makes me wonder... is there a mod_python for apache? or maybe fastcgi
> libs? would be interesting to have an extra choice to be able to run
> mailman in such an environment... especially if we get database support in
> the code; then it'd be good to be able to use persistant db links IMHO...

There is a fastcgi lib for Python, and there are two Apache modules,
mod_python and mod_snake. mod_python is less versatile, though, and I don't
believe it allows Python embedded in HTML. mod_snake does, IIRC. mod_snake
also allows deeply embedded Python (that is, Python code that can get into
Apache internals, especiall Apache 2.0.) You can basically write Apache
extentions using mod_snake and Apache 2.0.

> In a little defense for PHP, I think it's almost like perl; even though
> you know it has some issues it gets the job done very quickly easily and
> almost anything you want to do is available out of the box. Which I think
> it's one of the reasons why it grows so quickly...

It gets the job done quickly, easily if the job is very small, and very
*messy* :) Just consider the fact that you can call a php page using
'<page>?var=value' and $var will be 'value' in the PHP page. End result: you
can't trust variables :P

> I don't agree with python being easier though :) For somebody new to
> programming it's easier to learn PHP than python... in some way PHP is
> just a huge number of available functions with a bit of programming
> language around it ;)

As a scripting language, PHP might be easier (I don't agree, but still.) But
if you have no programming knowledge, or you want more than a quick hack to
call a function, Python is definately easier.

> ps: sorry if my mesage is a bit messy; I have to get used to using mutt+vi
> again... I've given up my search for a stable gui mail client for now
> (again ;))

Your lines seem to be wrapped at character 100 or so. Doesn't bother me, my
editor (which, contrary to vi, is a real editor <wink>) does the paragraph
reflowing for me :)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>