[Mailman-Developers] mailman 2.1a2 -- mailmanctl -- memory usage

Scott Brown scott-brown@home.com
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 19:46:23 -0400

> I see two possible solutions:
>
> 1) Bite the bullet and support true virtual domains, so you'd only
>    need one installation per site, and one invocation of mailmanctl to
>    service all your domains.
>
> 2) Provide a low-cost fallback for a cron-invoked qrunner.
>
> Unless someone comes out of the woodwork and funds #1 within the next
> couple of weeks <wink>, I don't see it happening for MM2.1.  #2 should
> be doable, so I'll look into that as MM2.1 moves forward.

I've played with it in a vhost environment (one install for many [...well, 3
on my test box...] sites)

I have mailman 2.1a2 installed once on the box, and the vhosts reference
that install via proxy'd requests to localhost.

The only thing that I've run across that causes me headaches is the fact
that (on the drop I've been playing with) new lists are created with the
system name, not the name of the vhost which is requesting it.

On the lighter size, I've also noticed under 2.0.6 (cant say under 2.1.a2)
an occasional place (list of lists is a prime example) that references
'localhost' because I'm accessing the /mailman/ pages via a proxy to get
arround SUEXEC limitations.

Perhaps #1 could be done easily by examining where new data is created and a
domain name is required, and using the vhost domain from the requesting url,
rather than the system name (watch for proxy'd requests though :)  Command
line proggies would then need to be able to specify a vhost on the command
line with a new switch.

A pro like you should be able to knock that off in a couple days, no?

:))