[Mailman-Developers] mailman 2.1a2 -- mailmanctl -- memory usage

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 19:10:43 -0400

    SA> The problem occurs because running mailmanctl start once for
    SA> each domain, runs 7 python ./mailmanctl start that use around
    SA> 3.4Mb each.  after several the machine started to use vast
    SA> quantities of ram so i didnt upgrade the rest of the test
    SA> lists.  Is there any way of reducing the memory foot print of
    SA> each of these runners, or maybe just run 1 instead of 7?

    SA> Is it possible to somehow go back to doing it the old way via
    SA> a cron job? as the machine didnt have a problem running these

I see two possible solutions:

1) Bite the bullet and support true virtual domains, so you'd only
   need one installation per site, and one invocation of mailmanctl to
   service all your domains.

2) Provide a low-cost fallback for a cron-invoked qrunner.

Unless someone comes out of the woodwork and funds #1 within the next
couple of weeks <wink>, I don't see it happening for MM2.1.  #2 should
be doable, so I'll look into that as MM2.1 moves forward.

-Barry