[Mailman-Developers] Re: Starting mailmanctl

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:27:00 -0700

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001 22:04:50 +0000
Ousmane Wilane <wilane@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi, IMHO, we'd better let `chkconfig' manage /etc/rc.d dir hier
> for few reasons:

> 1- The various symlinks in /etc/rc.d are managed by `chkconfig' on
> modern rpm based system, IRIX, etc.

This is not true for Debian, and other .deb based Linux
distributions.  Its also not true for Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, and
several other commercial *ixes.

> 2- The informations needed by chkconfig are commented line on top
> of the init file like: # mailmanctl: 2345 98 12 # description: The
> cabal pandora's box.  thus, other systems can safely use the same
> init file.

chkconfig under IRIX works considerably differently in regard to how
it controls RC files.  In fact the Linux chkconfig tool is inspired
by the IRIX chkconfig, but only bears minimal similarity to it.

> 4- Make rpm, deb packaging easy.  5- I think that Mailman
> endeavors to be compatible with standards (/get/ thingy hehe 8).

This is already easy in the general case.

This is not to say that chkconfig-style comments shouldn't be
embedded in the init script, just that depending on those supports
is likely not wise.

--
J C Lawrence                                    )\._.,--....,'``.