[Mailman-Developers] Future of pipermail?

Barry A. Warsaw barry@digicool.com
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:30:32 -0500

    GE> What are the current plans about the html archiver in mailman?

    GE> The major shortcomings of pipermail I see are:

    |  - doesn't decode MIME
    |  - doesn't handle mixed charsets
    |  - no search engine
    |  - somewhat convoluted code.

    GE> I run a mailing list with a lot of subscribers from Asia who
    GE> use MS Outlook, invariably posting (English) messages
    GE> spuriously tagged as CJK charsets (but only using the ASCII
    GE> subset) and gratuitously encoded in base64. Therefore I am
    GE> motivated to find a solution to handling MIME. :-(

    GE> I have hacked base64 support into pipermail and am currently
    GE> looking at supporting MIME (probably using mimecntl.py), but
    GE> this will just be short-term fixes.

    GE> I know I could just switch to MHonarc or whatever but I like
    GE> the idea of having a nicely structured, modular archiver
    GE> tightly integrated with mailman.

Then why are you using Pipermail. :)

Anyway, yes, we'd like to rewrite the archiver from the ground up, but
nobody's working on that yet.  I suspect either Jeremy or I will
tackle it at some point.

In the meantime, if you have useful patches, upload them to
SourceForge so they don't get lost.

-Barry