[Mailman-Developers] Future of pipermail?

Gunnar Evermann ge204@eng.cam.ac.uk
14 Nov 2000 12:59:54 +0000

What are the current plans about the html archiver in mailman?

The major shortcomings of pipermail I see are:

 - doesn't decode MIME
 - doesn't handle mixed charsets
 - no search engine
 - somewhat convoluted code.

I run a mailing list with a lot of subscribers from Asia who use MS
Outlook, invariably posting (English) messages spuriously tagged as
CJK charsets (but only using the ASCII subset) and gratuitously
encoded in base64. Therefore I am motivated to find a solution to
handling MIME. :-(

I have hacked base64 support into pipermail and am currently looking
at supporting MIME (probably using mimecntl.py), but this will just be
short-term fixes.

I know I could just switch to MHonarc or whatever but I like the idea
of having a nicely structured, modular archiver tightly integrated
with mailman.

Are there people working on on pipermail or a replacement of it?

 Gunnar