[Mailman-Developers] qfiles & develop list weirdness

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sun, 23 Jul 2000 23:14:55 +0200

On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 07:19:41PM +0200, Ricardo Kustner wrote:

> when i decided to have a look at the qfiles directory, I noticed that
> there were more than 22,000 files (yikes!) in that directory... dating
> back to july 17...

You'd probably do best to rename the 'qfiles' directory and create a new
one, then move the remaining messages over to the new one. After storing
220000 files, your qfiles directory is likely to be a few hundred kbytes,
making it very slow on access, and this can seriously hamper your machine,
especially if it's a busy one.

Do it like this, after disabling qrunner in crontab and making sure none is
running:

mkdir qfiles.new
chown mailman.mailman qfiles.new
chmod 2775 qfiles.new
mv qfiles qfiles.old ; mv qfiles.new qfiles
mv qfiles.old/*.db qfiles
mv qfiles.old/*.msg qfiles

The last precaution shouldn't be necessary if no qrunner is running, but
what the hell, it doesn't hurt to be careful.

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>