[Mailman-Developers] qfiles & develop list weirdness

Ricardo Kustner Ricardo Kustner <ricardo@rixhq.nu>
23 Jul 2000 23:25:25 CEST

Hi,

On Sun, 23 Jul 2000 23:14:55 +0200, Thomas Wouters said:

> On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 07:19:41PM +0200, Ricardo Kustner wrote:
>  > when i decided to have a look at the qfiles directory, I noticed that
>  > there were more than 22,000 files (yikes!) in that directory... dating
>  > back to july 17...
>  You'd probably do best to rename the 'qfiles' directory and create a new
>  one, then move the remaining messages over to the new one. After storing
>  220000 files, your qfiles directory is likely to be a few hundred kbytes,
>  making it very slow on access, and this can seriously hamper your machine,
>  especially if it's a busy one.
yeah it took about 15 secs for the directory to show up with a ls -l ;-(

>  Do it like this, after disabling qrunner in crontab and making sure none is
>  running:

Thanks... I actually already did something like that ... with some
quick'n'dirty perl scripts
(maybe one day I'll use python for that ;-) ) i moved the files to the new
(empty) directory in
chunks, so the server didn't get loaded too much at the same time and I could
remove the
mailer-daemon mail...

btw i just received all the mailman-developers mail that i didn't receive since
friday at once...
I'm not sure if it was because of trouble with my DNS setup (which is pretty
messed up sometimes)
or maybe Barry emptied a mail queue or something ;)

Ricardo.

--
http://rixhq.nu

"You think that's air you're breathing?" -- Morpheus