[Mailman-Developers] Configurable Archiving Proposal

Christopher Lindsey lindsey@ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 18:07:57 -0500 (CDT)

> Is it that important to allow individual lists to have different
> archiving mechanisms?

I don't think so, although it might be useful to use different
archiving mechanisms for internal vs. external.  Actually I
might be to blame for this -- Paul asked me about it and I
may have misunderstood his question.

> Dave Cinege posted[1] a message to mailman-users explaining how he
> hooks MHonArc to Mailman and I'm playing with the approach right now
> (if I can actually get perl <shudder> <coff> to build :).

It's an icky approach, though...  Like he mentions, it's
pre-filtering based *and* requires admin permissions to modify
anything.  If it has to be hacked, I prefer to subscribe a
known alias or account to the list, then have that call a
.procmailrc file (which can call other files writeable by
the Web group, etc.)

What we're trying to do is generalize Mailman's archiver enough
so that you can drop any binary into pipermail's place.

Chris