[Mailman-Developers] Configurable Archiving Proposal

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@python.org
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 19:17:22 -0400 (EDT)

    CL> I don't think so, although it might be useful to use different
    CL> archiving mechanisms for internal vs. external.

In that case, we might be able to add a Default.py variable to control
this.

    CL> It's an icky approach, though...  Like he mentions, it's
    CL> pre-filtering based *and* requires admin permissions to modify
    CL> anything.  If it has to be hacked, I prefer to subscribe a
    CL> known alias or account to the list, then have that call a
    CL> .procmailrc file (which can call other files writeable by the
    CL> Web group, etc.)

    CL> What we're trying to do is generalize Mailman's archiver
    CL> enough so that you can drop any binary into pipermail's place.

A laudable goal.

BTW, I just converted my first mbox to HTML using MHonArc.  There are
some things I don't like (where are the by-author and by-date
archives?  Can I split my months and give an overview similar to
Pipermail?  Perhaps I can and haven't read enough of the manual...)

-Barry