[Mailman-Developers] Configurable Archiving Proposal

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us (Barry A. Warsaw)
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 18:51:13 -0400 (EDT)

    PH> I want to set up Mailman to support other archiving methods,
    PH> more cleanly than subscribing a procmailrc to a list.  I know
    PH> a few other people are interested in this as well.

    PH> I would like to add a per-list configuration option to each
    PH> list's config.db which tells Mailman a command line to run to
    PH> archive a message.  Is this any more complicated than adding a
    PH> variable to the MailList class and adding a few lines to
    PH> Archiver/Archiver.py?

    PH> What do other users and developers think of this idea?  Is it
    PH> dangerous to allow a list adminstrator to execute arbitrary
    PH> commands?  If so, how else could this be done?

Is it that important to allow individual lists to have different
archiving mechanisms?

Dave Cinege posted[1] a message to mailman-users explaining how he
hooks MHonArc to Mailman and I'm playing with the approach right now
(if I can actually get perl <shudder> <coff> to build :).

-Barry

[1] http://www.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/1999-July/001726.html