[Mailman-Developers] Moderation comment interface change

J C Lawrence claw@under.engr.sgi.com
Mon, 08 Feb 1999 11:24:18 -0800

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999 14:17:08 -0500
Christopher G Petrilli<petrilli@amber.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 10:55:55AM -0800, J C Lawrence wrote:

>> A brief perusal of the MHonArc list's archives and the regular
>> problems members have with message separators with MHonArc seems
>> to suggest otherwise.  The lack of an absolute standard (eg BNF
>> diagram in a recognised RFC) for mbox format really doesn't help.

> Well, the other option is PMDF style (4 0x001 characters at the
> beginning of the line).

True, tho its been quite a while since I've run into that one.

> THe big problem with using MH-style is that it can become a HUGE
> HUGE HUGE disk hog...

I have a little over a million and a half messages in MH folders
right now, and yes, they chew disk space.  Disk however is cheap.

> what I have looked into is shoving the whole thing into MySQL :-)

Not a bad idea, especially if batched with a set of export tools to
spit mbox/MH/etc for legacy interfaces.

> One table per list, which would let you do some really nice
> queries against it... this would let you move to a more dynamic
> page generation, rather than a static one, which would allow users
> to customize their page generation.

Problems are two fold:

  Need a MHonArc analogue that will run against MySQL.

  Need a decent search tool (I use WebGlimpse, but HT://Dig isn't
too bad) that will run against the results.

> Perhaps we need to start a list-archiver project seperate from
> mailman?

I'd say so.

--
J C Lawrence                              Internet: claw@kanga.nu