[Mailman-Developers] Moderation comment interface change

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 14:41:55 -0500

On Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 11:24:18AM -0800, J C Lawrence wrote:

> > Well, the other option is PMDF style (4 0x001 characters at the
> > beginning of the line).
>
> True, tho its been quite a while since I've run into that one.

Oh you'd be amazed how often I run into it... MMDF/PMDF live :-) Perhaps
we want to use BABYL? :-)  Actually, it's not a bad format, probably
better than all the others, and well "documented" in elisp.

> > THe big problem with using MH-style is that it can become a HUGE
> > HUGE HUGE disk hog...
>
> I have a little over a million and a half messages in MH folders
> right now, and yes, they chew disk space.  Disk however is cheap.

Cheap yes, but still, I don't know that I want to waste it like this
unless there's no other solution.

> > what I have looked into is shoving the whole thing into MySQL :-)
>
> Not a bad idea, especially if batched with a set of export tools to
> spit mbox/MH/etc for legacy interfaces.

Oh definately, I'm trying to cobble up something right now that can take
mbox format and shove them in with some intellegence... hope to post it
later today.

> > One table per list, which would let you do some really nice
> > queries against it... this would let you move to a more dynamic
> > page generation, rather than a static one, which would allow users
> > to customize their page generation.
>
> Problems are two fold:
>
>   Need a MHonArc analogue that will run against MySQL.

You mean a user interface? :-)  Of course...

>   Need a decent search tool (I use WebGlimpse, but HT://Dig isn't
> too bad) that will run against the results.

THis is the second problem... I've been thinking about it... I don't
know of any text-indexer (ie inverted indeces) that is designed to be
programatically driven, rather than stand-alone... I want something that
can do all it's indexing, but be driven from the unified interface, not
from some secondary interface... know what I mean?

> > Perhaps we need to start a list-archiver project seperate from
> > mailman?
>
> I'd say so.

Barry? EtAl?

Chris