[Image-SIG] pillow incompatibilities

Alex Clark aclark at aclark.net
Fri Feb 8 13:21:02 CET 2013

On 2013-02-08 03:06:00 +0000, Matthias Klose said:

> python-imaging packages for both Python2 and Python3 are now available
> in Ubuntu
> raring (which will become 13.04), and are expected in Debian
> experimental soon. See
>
>  - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-imaging
>  - http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/python-imaging.html
>
> Now, every package using python-imaging either fails to build, or fails to run,
> because Pillow was converted to an egg.  Maybe not a bad idea, however it does
> break ~100 packages.

I'm not sure if "Pillow was converted to an egg" is an accurate
description of the problem. To me, converting to egg is synonomous with
"from setuptools import setup" (vs. from distutils import setup) which
is a change that happened in Pillow. But there were other changes like
removing "PIL.pth" which I think is what is actually responsible for
the inability to do:

>>> import Image

This was intentional.

>   So the idea which Barry and I came up with, was to ship a
> PILcompat.pth, and a directory with the "old" toplevel PIL modules, just
> importing from PIL, e.g. PILcompat/Image.py:
>
>   from PIL import Image
>
> at least for all modules mentioned in the module reference (you can't add PIL
> directly to the .pth file, because relative imports break).  From my point of
> view this should be shipped and installed by default in Pillow, when built for
> Python2. I think it's not necessary to do that for Python3, as the old PIL
> doesn't support Python3 anyway.

That sounds like reverting one of the major changes facilitated by the
fork, which I don't think is likely to happen. If you can do:

>>> import Image

you are using PIL, not Pillow.

> For the details see https://launchpad.net/bugs/1112496

Thanks for the update. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Alex Clark · https://www.gittip.com/aclark4life/