[Image-SIG] pillow incompatibilities

Matthias Klose doko at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 8 04:06:00 CET 2013

python-imaging packages for both Python2 and Python3 are now available in Ubuntu
raring (which will become 13.04), and are expected in Debian experimental soon. See

 - https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-imaging
 - http://packages.qa.debian.org/p/python-imaging.html

Now, every package using python-imaging either fails to build, or fails to run,
because Pillow was converted to an egg.  Maybe not a bad idea, however it does
break ~100 packages.  So the idea which Barry and I came up with, was to ship a
PILcompat.pth, and a directory with the "old" toplevel PIL modules, just
importing from PIL, e.g. PILcompat/Image.py:

  from PIL import Image

at least for all modules mentioned in the module reference (you can't add PIL
directly to the .pth file, because relative imports break).  From my point of
view this should be shipped and installed by default in Pillow, when built for
Python2. I think it's not necessary to do that for Python3, as the old PIL
doesn't support Python3 anyway.

For the details see https://launchpad.net/bugs/1112496

  Matthias