[Image-SIG] pillow incompatibilities

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Feb 8 16:33:50 CET 2013

On Feb 08, 2013, at 07:21 AM, Alex Clark wrote:

>But there were other changes like removing "PIL.pth"
>which I think is what is actually responsible for the inability to do:
>
>>> import Image
>
>This was intentional.

And IMHO, a good thing.  PIL/Pillow need not be so special as to make claim to
so much of the top-level namespace.  Of course, there's the backward
compatibility problem to deal with, but this is the right long-term change.

>That sounds like reverting one of the major changes facilitated by the fork,
>which I don't think is likely to happen. If you can do:

>you are using PIL, not Pillow.

I think that Matthias would like to just swap-in Pillow for PIL in Debian and
Ubuntu.  This gives application the additional opportunity to more easily port
to Python 3.

>> > For the details see https://launchpad.net/bugs/1112496
>
>Thanks for the update. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to he
>lp.

One thing that would be helpful would be to review my merge proposal for that
bug, to see if there are any other top-level modules that should be exposed by
the PILcompat.pth file.  The current set is described in Matthias's comment
here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-imaging/+bug/1112496/comments/13

with the merge proposal here:

https://code.launchpad.net/~barry/ubuntu/raring/python-imaging/lp1112496/+merge/146740