[Image-SIG] support for python 3

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 17 18:06:26 CEST 2010

> Over the past year, the lack of response by anyone to questions about PIL
> support of Python 3.x has been surprising. Surely the subject is of interest
> to some image-sig members.
>
> I´m guessing that the needed effort to extend that support must be very
> great, since other libraries such as Numpy haven´t been modified for Python
> 3.x either.
>
> Still, it would be nice for relative novices like me to have an idea if and
> when such support might be available.
>
> I feel a little guilty even bringing up the matter, having contributed very
> little to the open source effort. As a novice, I couldn't contribute much to
> such an effort (except perhaps correcting grammar and spelling in
> documents).
>
> Maybe this e-mail will stimulate discussion of the matter. Anyone have any
> thoughts?

Since you say your a novice maybe the following points are not
completely useless:

In the open source world sometimes deadlines can be set sometimes they
can not. Some authors make commitments which they try to honor,
sometimes they don't try to honor it and even other times they don't
make any commitments. All of these options are perfectly legitimate
since the authors are doing their entire work for free.

In the case of PIL and python 3 support the case is that the authors
prefer not to commit to any deadline or timeline. As I've said this is
perfectly legitimate and there is nothing wrong with it.

Cheers,
Daniel