[I18n-sig] Anyone here? :)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Nov 16 19:02:00 CET 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 18:51 +0100, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Tamito KAJIYAMA wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to post a reply, although I have no idea with regard to
> > your question on locale-aware sort.
> >
> > | Should the SIG be retired?
> >
> > Honestly to say, I'm less interested in this SIG than ever,
> > since we have a rich set of Unicode codecs in the 2.4 series,
> > and IMHO the largest part of Python i18n has been done with the
> > current Unicode support.
> >
> > However, it seems to me a little bit early to break up the SIG,
> > as there are other i18n-related topics (with regard to which I
> > don't expect I could make some contribution, though).
>
> There's still a lot to do on the Unicode front:
>
> * Unicode collation support (this is what Jim's after)
>
> 	http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr10/
>
> * Unicode compression
>
> 	http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr6/
>
> * Adding Locale Data support:
>
> 	http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr35/tr35-5.html
> 	http://www.unicode.org/cldr/
>
>   This is a rather new option and would finally make
>   Python independent from the libc locale support which
>   causes much trouble in user-land.

What is a rather new option?  CLDR?

Hasn't ICU covered this ground already?

In any case, is someone working on leveraging CLDR in Python?

Are you aware of any work to wrap ICU besides PICU and the work
Stephan Richter did leveraging some of the ICU data in Zope?

> > | If not, I suggest managing the mailing
> > | list a bit differently, holding messages from non-subscribers.
> >
> > +1.
>
> Only if you are willing to administer the mailing list.

I am.

> Note that the spam that's coming in on python.org lists
> can make this a nasty task.

Yeah. I do this for some Zope lists.  It's a pain, but I think
it's necessary for the list to be useful.

Jim