[I18n-sig] Anyone here? :)

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Nov 16 18:51:53 CET 2005

Tamito KAJIYAMA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to post a reply, although I have no idea with regard to
> your question on locale-aware sort.
>
> | Should the SIG be retired?
>
> Honestly to say, I'm less interested in this SIG than ever,
> since we have a rich set of Unicode codecs in the 2.4 series,
> and IMHO the largest part of Python i18n has been done with the
> current Unicode support.
>
> However, it seems to me a little bit early to break up the SIG,
> as there are other i18n-related topics (with regard to which I
> don't expect I could make some contribution, though).

There's still a lot to do on the Unicode front:

* Unicode collation support (this is what Jim's after)

	http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr10/

* Unicode compression

	http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr6/

* Adding Locale Data support:

	http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr35/tr35-5.html
	http://www.unicode.org/cldr/

  This is a rather new option and would finally make
  Python independent from the libc locale support which
  causes much trouble in user-land.

> | If not, I suggest managing the mailing
> | list a bit differently, holding messages from non-subscribers.
>
> +1.

Only if you are willing to administer the mailing list.

Note that the spam that's coming in on python.org lists
can make this a nasty task.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 16 2005)