[I18n-sig] Re: gettext in the standard library

François Pinard pinard@iro.umontreal.ca
04 Sep 2000 16:37:11 -0400

[Martin von Loewis]

> Even in the sv:de example, there is still a chance that neither the
> Swedish nor the German catalog has a translation, so the user would get
> three languages on her screen.  I don't know anybody who'd prefer that
> over just falling back to English.

This is precisely because it was asked for, that we did it.  The idea
did not come from us, but from users.  I only know English and French,
so this would not be useful to me.  I guess most Americans know only one
language, so their need are even simpler than mine!  But I got that in
Europe, many people have an extended culture, making me jealous (:-),
and it is not uncommon for them to be comfortable with many languages.

So, in a word, this specification for fall-backs is a service for the most
cultured of our users.  Let's admire them, and consider they deserve it? :-)