[I18n-sig] Re: gettext in the standard library

Martin von Loewis loewis@informatik.hu-berlin.de
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 19:52:29 +0200 (MET DST)

> The truth of experience is that for many teams, translations will lag over
> releases, and you will often not have full translation files, a few holes
> will exist.  It is then more important that fall-backs are taken on a per
> message basis.

I agree in principle. From a practical point of view: Do you know any
user that actually has a a LANGUAGE setting listing more than one
language? Even in the sv:de example, there is still a chance that
neither the Swedish nor the German catalog has a translation, so the
user would get three languages on her screen. I don't know anybody
who'd prefer that over just falling back to English.