[I18n-sig] Useful resources available now

alexander smishlajev alex@ank-sia.com
Tue, 08 Feb 2000 18:45:20 +0200

"M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:

> FYI, Python 1.6 will have native Unicode support.

yes.  unfortunately, i did not know about this at the time of publishing
pynicode.  now i see that i was reinventing the same things that are
listed in your proposal at
http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/unicode-proposal.txt  sorry for
that.

by the way, don't you think that standard codecs should include _all_
iso8859 encodings?  MS Windows codepages?

> no need to duplicate work in that area... better wait until
> the first versions ship and then build on top of the
> existing implementation, IMHO anyways ;-)

i think that it would be nice to have a compatible (maybe less
functional) stand-alone module as a temporary solution until Python 1.6
is released.  as far as i remember, about a half of that resource list
was published within last half of a year.  today i have met another one:
http://starship.python.net/crew/gherman/playground/calie/calie.py  IMHO
such frequency of different modules appearing testifies that charset
conversion is badly needed, as soon as possible.

best wishes,
alex.