[I18n-sig] Useful resources available now

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 08 Feb 2000 19:18:26 +0100

alexander smishlajev wrote:

> "M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:
> >
> > FYI, Python 1.6 will have native Unicode support.
>
> yes.  unfortunately, i did not know about this at the time of publishing
> pynicode.  now i see that i was reinventing the same things that are
> listed in your proposal at
> http://starship.skyport.net/~lemburg/unicode-proposal.txt  sorry for
> that.
>
> by the way, don't you think that standard codecs should include _all_
> iso8859 encodings?  MS Windows codepages?

Sure, but not in the core. I have converted all mapping tables
at http://www.unicode.org to dictionary tables usable by Python.
Turns out that this produces 4MB of static data... as a result
I want to include a generic mapping table codec which can
use these tables and then make the mapping tables downloadable
separately.

> > no need to duplicate work in that area... better wait until
> > the first versions ship and then build on top of the
> > existing implementation, IMHO anyways ;-)
>
> i think that it would be nice to have a compatible (maybe less
> functional) stand-alone module as a temporary solution until Python 1.6
> is released.  as far as i remember, about a half of that resource list
> was published within last half of a year.  today i have met another one:
> http://starship.python.net/crew/gherman/playground/calie/calie.py  IMHO
> such frequency of different modules appearing testifies that charset
> conversion is badly needed, as soon as possible.

Hey, it's only a few more weeks until the CVS tree has the code
publically available for everyone to download and test :-)

[If you can't wait, have your company join the Python Consortium
to get early access. The more companies join, the faster Python
will move towards full business awareness.]

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg