[I18n-sig] Useful resources available now

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 08 Feb 2000 15:11:06 +0100

alexander smishlajev wrote:

> hello Peter!
>
> thanks for the list!  i've seen all of this, but it is nice to have
> common summary.  some additions:
>
> * unicode.so -- A unicode string implementation for Python 1.5.
>    URL    : http://www.pythonware.com/madscientist/
>    Author : Fredrik Lundh
>    License: Pythonic
>
> * PyRecode -- wrapper around the librecode/Recode utility (a GPL tool
>               for converting text from one character set to another).
>    URL    : http://www.suxers.de/python/pyrecode.htm
>    Author : Andreas Jung <ajung@sz-sb.de>
>
> * pynicode -- Unicode support and character set translation for Python.
>               pure Python module suite started as a translation
>               of Perl Unicode modules.
>    URL    : http://sourceforge.net/project/?group_id=1825
>    Author : alexander smishlajev <als@turnhere.com>
>    License: MIT-style
>    DOC    : inline

FYI, Python 1.6 will have native Unicode support. There's
no need to duplicate work in that area... better wait until
the first versions ship and then build on top of the
existing implementation, IMHO anyways ;-)

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg