[Edu-sig] False alarms?

Sergio Rojas sergio_r at mail.com
Wed Jul 11 08:19:16 EDT 2018

 Kirby, Definitely good points to invest a couple of beers cerebrating about
them regarding the teaching and learning process and how to do better.
 Thanks for sharing.

Sergio

Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 at 8:58 PM
From: "kirby urner" <kirby.urner at gmail.com>
To: "Sergio Rojas" <sergio_r at mail.com>
Cc: "edu-sig at python.org" <edu-sig at python.org>
Subject: Re: [Edu-sig] False alarms?

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 11:51 AM, Sergio Rojas <sergio_r at mail.com[mailto:sergio_r at mail.com]> wrote: Okey-dokey, Kirby. Nice exposition, including the web links.
To explore this issue a bit further, how, in your view,
 the Common Core State Standards (http://www.corestandards.org/[http://www.corestandards.org/])
fit in the CS call at schools?

The standard points what perhaps is already being implemented as
an operational way to approach it:
from page 7 of
http://www.corestandards.org/wp-content/uploads/Math_Standards1.pdf[http://www.corestandards.org/wp-content/uploads/Math_Standards1.pdf]

 5 Use appropriate tools strategically.
Mathematically proficient students consider the available tools when
solving a mathematical problem. These tools might include pencil
and paper, concrete models, a ruler, a protractor, a calculator,
a spreadsheet, a computer algebra system,
a statistical package, or dynamic geometry software.

​Excellent question and highly relevant to bring up Common Core Math Standards.
I understand a physicist dude came up with it originally?​  Seems I saw that somewhere.

My attitude is CCMS is a bare minimum, a super stripped down almost-starving
diet that sets a floor.  Faculties are free to pack it out with a whole lot more if they
wish: golden ratio, polyhedrons (in vector spaces), unicode, and of course bases
other than 10.

CCMS is not a ceiling and was never intended as such.  We could treat it as about
10% of what we hope to cover -- under the heading of CS (I'm not sure math
teachers will have the time, given they don't have the millisecond turnaround
times we do, with our computers).