[Edu-sig] False alarms?

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 20:58:28 EDT 2018

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 11:51 AM, Sergio Rojas <sergio_r at mail.com> wrote:

>  Okey-dokey, Kirby. Nice exposition, including the web links.
> To explore this issue a bit further, how, in your view,
>  the Common Core State Standards (http://www.corestandards.org/)
> fit in the CS call at schools?
>
> The standard points what perhaps is already being implemented as
> an operational way to approach it:
> from page 7 of
> http://www.corestandards.org/wp-content/uploads/Math_Standards1.pdf
>

> 5 Use appropriate tools strategically.
> Mathematically proficient students consider the available tools when
> solving a mathematical problem. These tools might include pencil
> and paper, concrete models, a ruler, a protractor, a calculator,
> a spreadsheet, a computer algebra system,
> a statistical package, or dynamic geometry software.

​Excellent question and highly relevant to bring up Common Core Math
Standards.
I understand a physicist dude came up with it originally?​  Seems I saw
that somewhere.

My attitude is CCMS is a bare minimum, a super stripped down
almost-starving
diet that sets a floor.  Faculties are free to pack it out with a whole lot
more if they
wish: golden ratio, polyhedrons (in vector spaces), unicode, and of course
bases
other than 10.

CCMS is not a ceiling and was never intended as such.  We could treat it as
about
10% of what we hope to cover -- under the heading of CS (I'm not sure math
teachers will have the time, given they don't have the millisecond
turnaround
times we do, with our computers).