[Edu-sig] Yet another online Python...

Kirby Urner kurner at oreillyschool.com
Thu Sep 1 19:32:16 CEST 2011

On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 8:59 AM, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:

> Python's Standard Library turtle module is just another Python module
> with no more docs than average for an SL mod.

I suppose in the interests of completeness we
should mention that Python's native turtle mod
is in that subcategory of library modules that
depend on Tk and tkinter.  Not every Python
installation comes with the Tk base.  That's
just a standard way to bundle widgets and
GUI options.  wxPython, wrapping wx, has it's
alternative graphical scheme etc., other turtles.

Python, unlike Java, does not attempt to
build GUI widgets right into the language as
"foundation classes".  The Standard Library
solution is a different style of architecture.

Part of what keeps Python small, as a language,
is its decoupling from any one GUI library.

Python is not monogamous (plays well with
others), but then that's not a feature unique
to Python.