[Edu-sig] Announcement: How to Think Like a Computer Scientist -- Interactive Edition

Brad Miller millbr02 at luther.edu
Sun Sep 4 18:09:57 CEST 2011

 Carl,

I just added another sphinx extension that takes a step in the direction you are talking about.

I created an exercise extension. At a minimum it creates an editor with controls to run, save and load. You can see these in place for chapters 1-3 now.

Optionally you can provide the student with some scaffolding code. For example in a temperature conversion problem The exercise might open up with the following code already in place.

def c2f(degC):
 # your code here

assert c2f(0) == 32
assert c2f(100) == 212

You could also make use of the simple test function provided in the original book as well rather than rely on assert.

It doesn't have the nice graphics of codebat for giving you feedback, but that could all be added down the road.

Brad

--
Brad Miller
Associate Professor, Computer Science