[Edu-sig] a non-rhetorical question

Vern Ceder vceder at canterburyschool.org
Sat Jul 7 19:35:54 CEST 2007

Thanks Kirby,

Of course this is Programming *with* Python, i.e., programming is the
primary focus, and we'll be staying away from purely python idioms for
the most part, but I too am glad that O'Reilly's beginner's book is
*not* Head First Programming with Ruby, say... ;-)

As to __ribs__, I've been on edu-sig long enough to know what you mean.
I haven't yet figured out what the approach will be with objects, which
will be introduced toward the end. The animal idea you've mentioned is
attractive, though.

The rules (formal and informal) of Head First land mean that there
probably won't be much direct reference to the Pythons (Monty), which I
sort of regret... after all, I've spent a lifetime memorizing those
skits... ;-)

But yeah, I'm hopeful that a HF beginners book using Python will mean a
full-blown Python book is next in the works.

Cheers,
Vern

kirby urner wrote:
>> Right now I'm laboring away on storyboards for Head First Programming
>> with Python, which is intended for first time programmers, people who've
>> MAYBE looked at HTML, but nothing more. Somewhat the same space as
>> Zelle's book, but from the Head First perspective. (Should be out in
>> about a year, give or take, all support appreciated, etc...)
>>

> Hey Vern, I'm glad someone's doing this!
>
> There's been some hope about getting Python into the Head First
> pipeline.  A couple years ago O'Reilly was skeptical there was a
> big enough market (they track this stuff pretty closely, as we've
> learned at various OSCONs).  So your landing this fish is also
> indicative of Python's continued expansion.
>
> I hope edu-sig proves a relevant source of ideas.  Probably you
> won't be using the __ribs__ idea (snakes have lots of 'em), but
> if you don't know what I mean, I'll plug my Europython slides
> again (I'm spreading the __rib__ idea in Vilnius).
>
> http://www.4dsolutions.net/presentations/connectingthedots.pdf
>
> Wondering if you're playing up the Monty Python angle much
> either.  I think that too is highly reflective of Python's (and
> Guido's) playful side.
>
>> --
>> This time for sure!
>>     -Bullwinkle J. Moose
>
> So maybe this was your secret (cartoon allusions).
>
> Kirby

This time for sure!
    -Bullwinkle J. Moose