[Edu-sig] a non-rhetorical question

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 19:23:15 CEST 2007

> Right now I'm laboring away on storyboards for Head First Programming
> with Python, which is intended for first time programmers, people who've
> MAYBE looked at HTML, but nothing more. Somewhat the same space as
> Zelle's book, but from the Head First perspective. (Should be out in
> about a year, give or take, all support appreciated, etc...)

Hey Vern, I'm glad someone's doing this!

There's been some hope about getting Python into the Head First
pipeline.  A couple years ago O'Reilly was skeptical there was a
big enough market (they track this stuff pretty closely, as we've
learned at various OSCONs).  So your landing this fish is also
indicative of Python's continued expansion.

I hope edu-sig proves a relevant source of ideas.  Probably you
won't be using the __ribs__ idea (snakes have lots of 'em), but
if you don't know what I mean, I'll plug my Europython slides
again (I'm spreading the __rib__ idea in Vilnius).

http://www.4dsolutions.net/presentations/connectingthedots.pdf

Wondering if you're playing up the Monty Python angle much
either.  I think that too is highly reflective of Python's (and
Guido's) playful side.

> --
> This time for sure!
>     -Bullwinkle J. Moose

So maybe this was your secret (cartoon allusions).