[Edu-sig] Re: [Tutor] Girls, women and Programming (- and Python)

djr djrassoc01@mindspring.com
Mon, 05 Aug 2002 20:20:20 -0500

Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:

> > 1) Why are there so few girl and women interested in programming?
> > (look, for instance, at the list of partiicipants of all those mailing
> > lists)
>
> It's a silly question, but one that a few years ago I also would have
> found important...

In my opinion, it's not a silly question when you know girls who took
Perl from you in 6th grade and Python from you in 8th grade and
continue to impress you with their concentration in making updates
to their object-oriented adventure game while the boys in the room
carry on -- no doubt learning things but in quite different way.

What is the approach that enhances the interests of the girls in
going after their goals in the computing area? How does one make
sure the environment does not impede their progress?

Their other interests, that I knew about, were Highland Dance and Theater
not atypical for their age.

> Maybe you could rephrase your question, why are there so few men
> interested in fashion industry?  How many men do you know who even
> contemplate making their own clothes?

Can't answer that but I can tell you that I have heard about sewing
machines that are run by Windows PC's and am waiting for the
Sewing teacher (where my son learned to make a pair of boxer shorts
in 7th grade) to stop me and ask about Python and Sewing Machines...

All the 7th grade students (boys and girls) take L.I.F.E which we used
to call Home Ec. and do a number of cooking and sewing projects.

--D.

--
Dr. David J. Ritchie, Sr.
djrassoc01@mindspring.com