[Edu-sig] Python for non-programmers

Jeffrey Elkner jelkner@umd5.umd.edu
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 21:13:53 -0500

I don't mean to be contrary, Kirby, but I was actually disappointed with
"Learning Python" in the sense that it still does make a lot of assumptions
about the background of its readers.  There are frequent references to other
programming languages throughout (offered as comparison with Python) and I
found the text to still be very intimidating for beginners in much the same way
that Dennis talks about the on-line docs.  There really is no good beginners
book using Python yet, but of the existing books the one I like best is "The
Quick Python Book" by Kenneth McDonald and Daryl Harms.  While it is certainly
not perfect, I found this to be the clearest and easiest to read of the
books that are out there.

jeff elkner