[Python Wpg] A Python cloud service for all Python developers in beta now!

Kevin Veroneau kveroneau at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 02:04:42 EST 2012

Hello Everyone!

  I am on the LinkedIn Python Developers group and just saw the most
interesting post about this Python web service running on Amazon's EC2.
Currently it is in beta, and if you sign-up at the right time, you will be
emailed a invitation link.

  This service is not only for Web Developers, but for all Python
Developers.  It allows any Python developers to dynamically run any Python
code in any web-browser on any OS anywhere in the world(Yes it will work on
your iPhone and iPad).  It has a persistent server-side Python session,
which is basically a Python prompt in your web browser.  If you close your
browser and say move to a different computer and re-open the website, you
will see the Python prompt just as you left it.  This allows one to show
examples and output easily with anyone.  It also supports some
collaboration tools, where more than 1 user can share a single Python shell
session.

  I just received my invitation and will be writing a review based on the
beta version of the software.  Since it also support web apps, it may be a
good replacement for my current webapp configuration.  It is currently
free, and when it comes out of beta, there will be a free tier, as well as
a paid tier for more complex usages, such as requiring more CPU cycles from
Amazon's EC2 cloud.  The billing is utility based, so you only pay for what
you use, which makes it valuable just to have around, even if it's only
used a few times a month or even a year.

  Here is their website: http://www.pythonanywhere.com/

  They have a video on their website displaying the software in use at a
recent PyCon.

Enjoy!
Kevin Veroneau