[Python Wpg] Has any meeting date been scheduled as of yet?

Kevin Veroneau kveroneau at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 01:37:17 EDT 2010

Hello everyone,

  Just wondering if we are still going to be meeting sometime this month, as
the month is nearing it's end.  An interesting topic which I would like to
bring up for the next meeting would be what types of jobs would be looking
for Python programmers, and how would you explain to your I.T. to switch
over from some other language to Python and explain why Python would be a
better match.

  Also, at this point, what types of languages could Python possibly replace
in ones workplace?  Would Python be a good replacement for that ColdFusion
web application that needs to be rewritten?  A Java application that has
gone stale and needs a new one made up?  Or perhaps, a .NET application that
could be replaced with a Python solution?

  I know for the most part, Python can definitely replace many shell scripts
in a UNIX environment, but how useful is Python to deploy in a Windows
environment verse it's competitors?  What would be the best way to deploy
Python across a Corporate domain?  Can Python be deployed via an Active
Directory Administrator, or is there more work involved?

  The reason I ask these, is that I mainly see Python in UNIX/MacOSX
environments, but Python does not seem to be as wide spread on the Windows
platform.  Most Windows SysAdmins seem to prefer SharePoint and .NET
applications.  I used to see Java used, but a lot less these days.  Do many
Windows SysAdmins even know about Python and it's abilities to interface
with Windows?  Could a SysAdmin compile Python source modules into an EXE
for easy deployment, or is the full Python interpreter required?  What is
the main road block preventing Windows SysAdmins from diving into Python(pun
intended)?

Kevin Veroneau