[Python Wpg] Can python save the University $17,000?

Sydney Weidman syd at plug.ca
Fri Sep 28 00:38:15 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-27-09 at 22:36 -0500, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
> Sydney Weidman wrote:
> > I may have to do some more research for the other providers, but it
> > seems promising.
>
> Google gives some reasons for pessimism:
> <http://forums.canadiancontent.net/mobile-phones/35101-rogers-email-text-changes.html>
> <http://www.notepage.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4438>
>
> However Rogers does have a "Desktop TXT" app available for download, so
> there must be some kind of API to send text messages to rogers
> customers. I'd phone them too, given the reasons for wanting this
> functionality they might provide you with something. (They might also
> want you to keep anything they provide you with secret).
>
> Peter

Well, the old adage about security by obscurity holds. If MTS had
concerns about people abusing the system, they could very easily require
some kind of authentication before connecting to the SNPP service. Just
keeping it a secret won't hold the script kiddies at bay for very long.
(including yours truly -- a white hat script kiddie :-)

I did have qualms about giving out the information here. But the person
I talked to said nothing about an NDA or anything else. If they want me
to be quiet about it, they'll have to start by muzzling their own
employees, or at least having packs of rabid lawyers close at hand
during every phone conversation.

Thanks for the heads up, though.