[Wheel-builders] BLAS/LAPACK for manylinux1 wheels

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 15:33:38 EST 2016

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 12:29 PM, Olivier Grisel
<olivier.grisel at ensta.org> wrote:
>>> Do you plan to update the travis config script for the matrix entry
>>> that generate wheels to generate manylinux1 wheels instead?
>>
>> You mean, within the travis-ci docker container, open up another
>> docker with the manylinux image?
>
> I mean changing the .travis.yml config of numpy to enable the docker
> service so as to use the manylinux1 image to build and run tests on
> manylinux1 wheels for the master branch of numpy.

Do you happen to have any good examples to hand?  Sorry to be lazy, I
haven't used docker in travis yet.

>> Second - how should we go about naming / building / distributing our
>> external (non-Python) dependencies?
>
> I think Nathaniel suggested clib_<project_name>, that is clib_openblas
> in our case.

The naming step is certainly the easiest!   But there are other
problems.  The most obvious one is - what package structure should we
go for?  A prefix within the unpackacked directory?
(clib_openblas/lib clib_openblas/include ...)?

>> First - should we be using openblas for the manylinux wheels?  We know
>> of at least one bug that is not yet fixed in openblas master, and our
>> vague suspicion is that there may be quite a few more:
>
> Alright, we can defer the discussion to externalize the BLAS/LAPACK
> implementation to later. Let's get some wheel out with embedded
> openblas for now.

What about the problems with openblas?  Should we instead get a wheel
out with embedded ATLAS?

Cheers,

Matthew