[Wheel-builders] libpythonX.Y.so.1

Robert T. McGibbon rmcgibbo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 12:08:57 EST 2016

> What do you have in mind?

I'm not 100% sure.

One thing is that I was thinking that the information could be returned
from `auditwheel show` kind of like a "report card". To be more concrete,
the manylinux1 policy has a couple different prongs, like symbol versions,
external libraries, etc. So it could be presented as an easy to understand
table or something: "Your wheel passes on X, but needs work on Y", or
something. I was also thinking about using ASCII colors in the output to
make this easier to visually parse.

Another thing is that currently, `auditwheel repair` just vendors all
shared libraries into the wheel. I think Nathaniel mentioned that it might
be a good idea to be a little more discerning -- maybe require the user to
list libraries individually or something. Obviously there's often a
licensing concern with vendoring in external shared libraries that might be
GPL, so we probably want to somehow, through the UX, make sure that the
user is aware of the consequences of their choices and isn't put in a
situation where they might accidentally violate the GPL without their
knowledge or intent.

-Robert

--
-Robert