[Types-sig] Type-checked code calling unchecked code

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 16:49:26 -0600

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> When a checked module imports an unchecked module, all objects in the
> unchecked module (and the unchecked module itself) are assumed to be of
> type 'any', and the checked module is typechecked accordingly.

I think that there is a problem here.

j = uncheckedmodule.j

j()

Do I really have to declare that j is a callable to allow this to be
type-safe? Shouldn't we sniff out "obvious" type information (perhaps
functions versus classes versus everything else?).

Earth will soon support only survivor species -- dandelions, roaches,
lizards, thistles, crows, rats. Not to mention 10 billion humans.
	- Planet of the Weeds, Harper's Magazine, October 1998