[Tutor] I learn pretty much everything visually

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Tue Jun 13 14:28:07 EDT 2023

On 6/12/23 10:05, Adrian Mowrey wrote:
> Udemy, Coursera, etc. have the best courses on Python!
> Udemy charges, but Coursera, edX, etc. offer them for free.
>
> I also enjoyed the freeCodeCamp on YouTube!

There are also University-type courses for free (MIT, for example).
These are often woven into a larger framework - Learning Computer
Science with Python.  And many people these days are picking up Python
not to have a general-purpose language in their toolbox, but to
accomplish something particular, and there is of course courseware that
caters to that - "Python for Data Scientists", "Machine Learning with
Python", etc.

One of the real problems when there are too many offerings is finding
one that is (a) any good and (b) fits your learning style - which
usually eliminate many of the ones from (a). As just an example, as a
purely personal thing, I absolutely can't stand serious learning that is
gamified - badges, bling, scoreboards, flashing achievements, that kind
of stuff.  To the point that if I try to follow a learning path which is
done that way (and it's all the rage these days), I just quit it. I'm
sure that's unlike the vast majority of people, or it wouldn't be such a
popular style.

We don't have a good way to collect or convey that information, so it's
down to anecdotal information - someone here has tried something and
liked it.  The Python wiki is all user contributed, and it's not really
curated (occasionally someone goes through and wipes out obsolete or
incorrect stuff, but it's not a formal process).

Be nice if we could do a bit better here on tutor, but I, at least,
don't see a way (Alan?).