[Tutor] a list of tuples with varying lengths

Phil phillor9 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 19:42:53 EST 2022

On 21/1/22 07:30, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2022 17:28:00 +1100, Phil <phillor9 at gmail.com> declaimed the
> following:

Thank you Dennis for your thoughts, you may have diverted me from the
circular path that I've been following.

> 	Don't know if actual LED code may be of use (some of them incorporate
> shift registers).

My current project started by simulating a shift register and a string
of simulated LEDs 18 months ago. An 8 x 8 LED matrix seemed like an
interesting idea.

> https://learn.adafruit.com/connecting-a-16x32-rgb-led-matrix-panel-to-a-raspberry-pi/overview

These projects usually use a MAX7219 IC together with an imported driver
and it's this driver that I'm attempting to build. I'll have a look,
this one may be different.

> 	PREBUILD the entire display string as a bitmap first. Then feed it to
> the "simulated" display in a loop, wherein the end of each loop cycle
> shifts the bitmap.

That's what I've done except I'm using a list of bytes (the equivalent
of a C byte array). I think extracting columns from .png file, for
example, would add an extra level of difficulty.

Anyway, you've given me an idea. I should be able to adapt my simulated
shift register code to shift an entire column of data across the
simulated LED matrix display. 7 one bit shift registers maybe?

--

Regards,
Phil