[Tutor] Tutoring co-workers.

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Sat Feb 26 10:06:45 EST 2022

On 2/25/22 14:59, trent shipley wrote:
> I'm looking at the possibility of teaching programming to a couple of
> coworkers.  Python is an excellent pedagogical programming language, with
> the added benefit of what you learn being directly applicable and
> marketable in many work contexts.
>
> in the late 1980s, I took
> computer science 110 and 210 in Pascal and turned in the code for my
> assignments on fan-fold paper hard copy.

My first "formal" language was also Pascal (had previously learned
Fortran and Basic outside an academic setting). It was the era of
Pascal, I guess (mine was a little earlier, we had to jockey for the
very small number of cursor-addressable ADM 3a terminals that made
screen-based editing possible).

> My goal is to use it for teaching coding by giving the same attention to my
> students' feedback which Marrion Deckert gave to my ealy software writing
> education, but without paper and at a distance.  How close can I come to
> this vaporware ideal?
>
> (Oh yes, and a student should be able to drop their corrected code, with
> all the history and comments hidden, straight into a syntax checker, REPL,
> interpreter, or compiler.)

There are some new and shiny ways to maybe get some of the spirit of
this with some of the online collaborative editing environments, when
combined with a github repo.  It would be very different than red pen on
fanfold paper, but...  I don't know too many of the entrants in this
exploding field, but take a look at Gipod, Replit or Codeshare.