[Tutor] Tutoring co-workers.

Leam Hall leamhall at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 20:04:53 EST 2022

Guttag's "Introduction to Computation and Programming Using Python" should be interesting enough for decent programmers but not too simplistic. It's not the high end stuff, but it sounds like your crew will burn through it and be doing good python shortly. My guess is that it would tie into the MIT course on edx.org, since Guttag is one of the instructors.

https://www.edx.org/xseries/mitx-computational-thinking-using-python

For tracking comments, I'd simply suggest github. Keep all your code there, and the entire team can see it, and comment. Snarky comments, maybe, but still comments.  :)

Leam

On 2/25/22 15:59, trent shipley wrote:
> I'm looking at the possibility of teaching programming to a couple of
> coworkers.  Python is an excellent pedagogical programming language, with
> the added benefit of what you learn being directly applicable and
> marketable in many work contexts.
>
> First, I was wondering if you could recommend any good, accessible
> textbooks with many exercises for brand new and C+/B- level programmers new
> to Python which could segue into Python plus statistics or Python plus
> reporting, and beyond that into very early Python plus data science.
>
> Second, and more important, I took BASIC in high school.  When I went to a
> little liberal arts college in central Kansas in the late 1980s, I took
> computer science 110 and 210 in Pascal and turned in the code for my
> assignments on fan-fold paper hard copy.  My professor (with an actual PhD)
> graded the code in beautiful red ink with all the care and attention of a
> composition instructor for college freshmen.  I didn't realize how much I
> got out of it, until I realized how much I missed that kind of feedback
> when I take computer classes at a community college, especially when the
> classes are self-paced distance learning classes.  I also can tell younger
> programmers have never had the same academic formation I did.
>
> I would like a coding environment where I can comment and edit code and
> other text like it was Microsoft Word in draft mode.  In fact, I want to be
> able to comment on comments.  You should be able to do remote, real-time
> Talmudic disputation in this development environment, and go back through
> versions with all the text changes and evolution of comments graphically
> illustrated with popup "tooltips", and you should be able to drill down for
> change metadata.
>
> My goal is to use it for teaching coding by giving the same attention to my
> students' feedback which Marrion Deckert gave to my ealy software writing
> education, but without paper and at a distance.  How close can I come to
> this vaporware ideal?
>
> (Oh yes, and a student should be able to drop their corrected code, with
> all the history and comments hidden, straight into a syntax checker, REPL,
> interpreter, or compiler.)
>
> Trent

Site Automation Engineer   (reuel.net/resume)
Scribe: The Domici War     (domiciwar.net)
General Ne'er-do-well      (github.com/LeamHall)