[Tutor] Python jobs with no work experience

david savage dsavage1796 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 17 21:09:26 EDT 2022

Hi...thank you for this ability to ask questions.  I have dabbled with Python (Windows), but have never had the opportunity to use Python in a job.  I have been a PL/B programmer for the past 28 years, and recently got laid off from my job.  Because of the scarcity of open positions in this programming field, I'd like to get an entry-level position with a company that utilizes Python.  Someplace where I can actually increase my understanding of Python & therefore put it to good use...in an actual productive environment, but I'm not aware of any company that is willing to take on a programmer who doesn't have actual work experience using Python.

So, anyway, that is my dilemna.  Can someone give me any suggestions on how to get my "foot in the door".....so to speak ?   My PL/B programming career started soon after I got hired on as an operator, running PL/B programs all day.   I think learning PL/B was a requirement of the job, & so I thought "this is going to be a great career for me", so I learned it.   I do enjoy PL/B, but if I knew then what I know now, I would probably have ran in the opposite direction.

I have already checked out the web site of the maker of PL/B, as the job postings on there are not taken down, even when the jobs are filled.

So thanks for whatever advice you have..  If I knew what, in Python, specifically to focus on learning, then I will not feel like I'm spinning my wheels.  I'm even willing to start at the bottom.

David