[Tutor] First try

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Mon Nov 15 18:09:42 EST 2021

On 15Nov2021 12:14, Mats Wichmann <mats at wichmann.us> wrote:
>On 11/15/21 03:05, Asbjørn Bakken via Tutor wrote:
>>Hi there,
>>
>>I am brand-new to python. In my younger days I did some programming in Fortran and Cobolt (ages ago) but it is all lost. So I started out with Python for Kids for dummies.It worked nice on my macpro untill I upgraded to the latest IOS 12.0.1. Useing 2.7 (continued to work) but IDLE went in black (useless).
>>
>>All because 2.7 is no longer supported?

Perhaps. You should shift to Python 3 anyway. The differences are small
if you're just starting out; the most overt one is that print() is now a
function and requires parentheses.

You Mac will have a "python3" command which runs a modern version of
Python; it should be quite recent. The plain "python" command runs
Python 2.

>>Anything I can do or must I jump to latest version of Python?
>
>don't use the built-in Python on macOS.

Indeed, althought the Python 3 on a Mac is normally pretty current (as
of the OS version you are running).

>There are several ways to get a usable Python3 onto the Mac, not least
>of which is grabbing an installer from python.org.

By coincidence, I did exactly that on Monday. Works fine!

But if you just need to shift to Python 3, the "python3" already on your
Mac will also work fine.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>